My Love

My Love

Thursday, August 14, 2014

...



This has been a difficult week. Three celebrities passed away, Robin Williams- suicide. Just a devastating loss to everyone!
And then there is Dillon. 20 years old, walking out of a 7-Eleven after getting a soda with his brother and cousin, police mistake him for someone else and shoot him. He had ear phones in, he didn't hear them yelling to get down, he reached to pull up his pants, they thought he may be reaching for a weapon. Shot dead. Tragic end to a short life. Dillon was a friend of my daughters since third grade, they did a play together. She also had classes with his brother, who watched Dillon die just five years after the devastating loss of their parents. This is just such a terrible thing. The kids don't trust police anymore, they think they are all bad cops, and will lie in the end to make themselves look better. Who will pay the bills? Not the police. Who will go to jail? Probably nobody. The family and friends are more angry than anything. He was mexican, people are saying that is why this happened. Sad they feel that way. The police had a report of a man with a gun, Dillon happened to fit that description. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have very mixed feelings on this situation. I do believe in good cops, I do believe accidents happen when police are in a situation where they believe there is a weapon. But I know this incident has hurt many people. When I see my daughter hurting and angry, it is so hard for me to try to make sense of it for her. No matter what I say, she won't listen. The younger generation can't see both sides, all they see is a friend is dead... for no reason.
The media brought up a bunch of stuff about him that truly had nothing to do with the shooting, and made him look bad. Fair? Not at all. Fact is he is dead, fact is he shouldn't be. He was unarmed, minding his own business. Police have a tough job- they have to make that split second decision... this time it was the wrong decision, but it was still a call those officers had to make.
I feel for my daughter and her friends who lost this young man, his fiance who is carrying his child, his brother and sister who now only have each other...
An account has been set up accepting donations to help pay for his funeral costs- which I really feel the media should be made aware of! I've heard nothing of that with all the other attention this has gotten. I pray they raise the funds needed, I pray they find the answers and the peace they need. And I pray that one day they will all learn to respect law enforcement again.
I am not the biggest fan of police, but I do trust them as an organization. I will call on them if I need help and put my faith in them to protect me. They put their lives on the line every day... one incident should not change the opinion of all police officers.
Fly with angels Dillon, we will miss you. Robin, we will miss your laughs. Lauren Bacall- your beauty and class will live on.




No comments:

Post a Comment