My Love

My Love

Monday, December 28, 2015

HouseSitting

A few years ago, I met a family who was going thru the hardest time ever. They had just lost their son in Afghanistan. Troy and I had recently joined the PGR, and this was to be the first of too many KIA missions we have done.
I saw things this family was going thru and it just tore my heart out. I truly cannot imagine what it must feel like. There was a mom, a dad, a sister and nephew, a brother, sister in law, and their children... and a wife.
After Matt was laid to rest and the family began to adjust to what these families call the new normal, we had the chance to spend time and get to know them. And over the past 5 years they have become family. I absolutely love and respect this family! We ride together, we celebrate together, we share our lives... and I am so blessed to have them in my life.
A couple years ago they called and asked me to come stay at their home with their dogs while they took a trip. Me? I was touched they would ask, and honored to be trusted like that. Since then I have stayed maybe a dozen times at their home, about an hour from my own home... sometimes for 2 nights, sometimes for a week.
As I sit here enjoying a cup of coffee, with a cute little schnauzer curled up next to me... I just realize how blessed I am to have these opportunities. When I started doing this the family had 3 dogs, sadly two have passed. I feel bad leaving my family and dogs, but I know they can take care of themselves for a few days. Meanwhile, I am getting some much needed ME time, I can relax and do nothing, I can think without being interrupted, and I can be a little bit spoiled... a jetted bath, amazing coffees and teas, and really any sweets and treats I could possibly want! A super comfy bed and a quiet neighborhood.
I love these people, they are family and always will be. There is trust, respect, honesty... and love.
I will be here for 6 more days this time. My husband is miserable already, my dogs are probably confused- but they have the rest of the family. And the couple I am house and dog sitting for? They are off making memories with their oldest grandchild! Every opportunity to do that, has to be taken! And every chance I have to help them make that possible- I will.
In the beginning I was really uncomfortable coming here. No one has ever trusted me like this, no one has ever wanted me to stay in their home for an extended period- let alone ask me what they should fill the fridge with before they leave! It was difficult to settle in and make myself feel at home. But as time passed, I felt better about being here and believed in myself a little more... and now it really is my home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment