My Love

My Love

Monday, October 6, 2014

Getting Past The Past

I do my best to live in the now, and keep the past in the past. Sometimes this is easier said than done. The past has made me who I am, the past has memories that can't be forgotten, people who won't be forgotten, and experiences that shouldn't be forgotten. My 'life after the past' must include the past for it to be the life it is now.
Once in a while I am reminded of some of these things... I see someone I grew up with, I am reminded of a vacation I went on with my family, or something comes up in conversation about something I have been thru personally. I can't just pretend those things never happened, I want my experiences to be a part of who I am, and how I can help people.
I was reminded recently of the domestic violence I experienced at the hand of my first husband- I had to speak out and show my understanding and support for this woman when everyone else criticized her choices.
I have had a couple things come up- one on both sides of the fence, about women in prison... I'm innocent, I did nothing wrong! Really? I've come across these people, I've talked to them, heard their story then read the media side of the story. People lie! Then there are those who say I did this and I did that, when all they really did was something small. Why? well, they all have a different story, their own reason for saying what they do. Try playing truth or dare with a bunch of felons! Sometimes I would like to put that 15 months of my past out of my mind... then I think- no, I cherish those memories, and the education I got from these women. I studied psychology my first attempt at college, I could read these people and understand (somewhat) who they were and why they did what they did- or why they deny their guilt.
You never understand another persons choices or actions until you have been in their shoes, or spent an incredible amount of time listening to their stories. And that brings their past into their present. My past helps me keep an open mind, helps me be more understanding, and helps me be me. There are things in my past I am not proud of, but I will never regret those choices, nor will I lie and claim I never did them!
I guess what I am saying is I don't really want to get past my past, but I am living this life as a result of my past... and I am happy with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment