My Love

My Love

Friday, October 16, 2015

felons and honesty

Something came up today, I see so much on social media and the internet in general of people talking trash or lying about who they are. It got me thinking...
There are 3 types of excons...
First, there are the ones who walk around all bad ass saying they've been to prison and know how to kick your ass. I laugh at these people. first of all, been there! in my 15 months in the womens facility, I saw ONE fight. And it wasn't at all the kind of fight you would expect. it was a hair pulling, nail gouging, biting fight... aka, a cat fight! Second, if they are going to be talking like that, it means they probably a- learned that on the streets, and b- went right back to the same life they had prior to lock up.
Second, there are the ones who are silent about ever being in prison. Denial, shame, whatever the reason, it is never mentioned, even lied about to keep others from knowing their past. I respect these people, I understand the stigma! I have such a growing circle of friends, most of whom would probably never, before now, consider having friends who are felons. It trulym is hard to have a 'normal' life after prison.
Third, people like me. I never claimed to be a bad ass (other than jokingly when my daughter would bring home a new boyfriend), I am not in denial- it happened, it changed my life, it made me the person I am today. And I am not ashamed of it... people make mistakes! I talk about it, I am totally honest about my experience. Why hide it? If I lie to someone about it, eventually the truth come out, right? Then people don't trust you... why should they trust you? First you lied, and of course- you are a felon! If I am upfront and honest, people are more likely to trust and even respect you. No, I don't introduce myself, "Hi, I'm Red, and I'm a felon." But as I get to know someone, when they ask about my background, my family, etc. then it comes up. A lot of people as they get to know me, will pull up my blog and start reading and get it from here.
I get asked things like why I don't own a gun when it is obvious to most that I want one, I am asked why I don't work in the field I have my degree in... things like that bring up the subject.
Everyone has their own reasons for doing the things they do, and I am not one to judge. I do however, feel being honest with ourselves, as well as forgiving, is a key part of our emotional well being. And being honest with those we expect to give us that same respect, is vital to any relationship.
Maybe it depends on the reason a person goes to prison, or how many times they have been there, how long maybe? Who knows. I know my reasons for how I am about my time served... and that really is all that matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment