My Love

My Love

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

VNS... Better or Worse?

I realized today that a number of people believe I am having a lot of seizures and that my VNS implant doesn't seem to be changing things much. I want to explain a bit about this, because I do still feel this device is the best thing I have done for myself aside from Thrive.
I have never been one to share on social media every time I have a seizure. Yes, once in a while, if they are big and bad and caused injuries or whatever, but not all of them. Now, I do share about most of them, still not all, as a way for me to kind of keep track. So it may seem to outsiders I am having more.
Also, before my surgery, I was having minimum half dozen small seizures every single day... up to probably 30 or 40... they were seriously out of control and destroying me physically and emotionally. Those are next to gone! I have maybe a half dozen a week of these smaller type- and that's on a bad week!
When it comes to my full blown seizures... probably 4 out of 5 times, I am able to get it stopped in less than a minute and a half- it's that 5th time that I actually do go fully unconscious and am more likely to hurt myself.
I have seizures that make me unable to talk... and I have seizures that make me fall down and injure myself, go unconscious, forget things I did ten minutes prior- or the entire day prior. It is frustrating and painful, even now with the VNS- I still get very frustrated!
But, bottom line- this incredible modern medical technology was a very positive addition- no matter how creepy it seems, to my body and my life. Yes creepy. I have some electronic device in me with a wire running up my next that pretty much electrocutes me in order to help me, a device that runs off batteries and magnets and will be in my chest for the rest of my life. Anyway, I started this post like 3 days ago and have been too busy to even remember I was writing! So that's all for now. Please understand that I am doing much better than before and I am very happy with this device and with the change in my life it has brought.   

No comments:

Post a Comment