My Love

My Love

Monday, January 27, 2020

Four Corners Get Away


Troy and I have never taken an actual road trip on the bike, and I decided it's about time! The past year since we moved has been so hectic and stressful and penny pinching... I just felt like we deserve it! Then I got thinking- wouldn't it be fun to take my daughter? Family time, let her see some things she hasn't seen... then I thought- that might be boring for her, really, and her sister in law loves to ride! They are best friends, both would love the chance to see some sights and ride!
So we recruited a couple friends so our girls would have back seats- people we trust, people we enjoy spending time with. I planned out a 5 day- 4 night trip, and a week ago the six of us headed off!
Day one was spend riding thru southern Utah and into southern Colorado. Stops about every hour to stretch, rehydrate and sun screen up! We got to our hotel in Cortez, spent some time at the pool, and crashed!
Day 2 we set out for Mesa Verde, that didn't go as planned but we did go to the museum and visitor center (I had no idea it was something I needed to plan an entire day and a big chunk of change for!)
We continued on to Four Corners. Not at all what I was expecting, but very cool. There were probably about 50 vendors- all Navajo people trying to survive selling their talents... and wow are they a bunch of talented people! In the center of this vendor square was the monument, with a 40 minute line of people waiting to get photos! Crazy! But this was my whole purpose of the trip!

Then we headed off to Farmington NM from there. I was really in awe with the people and the things I saw in this entire area. Our first stop, and really only planned stop,  in Farmington was the Harley shop... We had to get gifts and needed to get something checked on the bike to make sure it was still holding... needless to say- it was not holding.
We made an outof our control situation into probably the best night of our trip! Spent the night there, and the amazing folks at Four Corners Harley had us back on the road before noon the next day! Side note- never ever reserve a hotel room thru Expedia, Wyndham, or Day Inn! Best Western all the way!
Due to the change in where we stayed on the second night, we had to make up some time and distance so we cut about 2/3 of our route 66 off the trip- but we still rode it! And of course we stopped at one of the highlights of route 66 and did all the touristy stuff...

From there it was a quick ride to Flagstaff... What a beautiful place! It has been since my childhood and I had fprgptten how pretty Flagstaff is!



No comments:

Post a Comment